Did you know that heating and cooling your home accounts for approximately 43% of your monthly utility bill? According to the US Department of Energy, running a home’s climate control is the number one use of residential electricity. As AC repair and service experts serving Berthoud and Loveland, we are more than familiar with the mistakes homeowners make that drive up that usage, and the related hits to the wallet. Fortunately, there are a number of things you can do in and around your home to reduce the need for air conditioning, saving you a good amount of money in the long run. Before summer really takes hold here in Colorado, think about implementing these ideas for a lower energy bill.
- Add some outdoor greenery. Because most heat enters a home through its roof and windows, keeping those areas as shaded as possible helps to lessen the need of running your AC all day. Add tall, leafy trees on the South and West sides or your home to block those heat rays from entering. Also, according to the US Dept of Energy, shading your outside AC unit can also boost the efficiency of your system by 10%
- Add a layer to your windows. Solar screens have been credited for reducing almost 70 percent of the solar energy that hits the window. This prevents the accompanying heat from penetrating the glass and warming up your home. Try either solar screens or window film on west and east-facing windows for the best results. The one drawback: windows with films applied must be kept shut for them to work properly.
- Choose other cooling options – Sometimes simply circulating indoor air can help it feel somewhat cooler. Place fans on upper levels with open windows and doors on lower levels in order to fully ventilate spaces.
- Avoid cooking – Take advantage of this excuse to not have to make dinner. Cooking and baking increases your indoor temps. So take a few nights off by opting for sandwiches and salads during warm summer afternoons and evenings.
- Keep your AC running at its best – There is no better way to ensure that you are getting all you can out of your AC unit than by maintaining and servicing it on a routine basis. Make sure to replace your filter on a regular basis and get regular service by a local AC tech.